- Amoxicillin is an anti
- biotic. It’s used to treat infections caused by certain types of bacteria.
- Amoxicillin oral tablet comes as immediate-release (IR), extended-release (ER), or chewable tablets. The chewable tablet and IR tablet are only available as generic drugs. The ER tablet is only available as the brand-name drug Moxatag.
- Amoxicillin also comes as a capsule and a suspension. All forms are taken by mouth.
Amoxicillin oral tablet does not cause drowsiness, but it can cause other side effects.
More common side effects
The more common side effects of amoxicillin oral tablet can include:
- vaginal yeast infection
If these side effects are mild, they may go away within a few days or a couple of weeks. If they’re more severe or don’t go away, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Serious side effects
Call your doctor right away if you have serious side effects. Call 911 if your symptoms feel life-threatening or if you think you’re having a medical emergency. Serious side effects and their symptoms can include the following:
- Hypersensitivity reactions. Symptoms can include:
- flu-like symptoms, such as fever, body aches, or sore throat
- a painful red or purple rash that spreads
- blisters that could cause the skin to break down and cause open sores
- Liver damage. This effect is rare. Symptoms can include:
- increased liver enzymes shown on a blood test
- pain in the abdomen (stomach area)
- yellowing of the skin and eyes