Highlights for bromocriptine
- Bromocriptine oral tablet is available as a generic drug and as brand-name drugs. Brand names: Parlodel and Cycloset.
- Bromocriptine comes in two forms: an oral tablet and an oral capsule.
- The generic form of bromocriptine oral tablet and its brand-name version Parlodel are used to treat symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. They’re also used to treat symptoms of other conditions caused by very high levels of certain hormones. The brand-name version Cycloset is used to treat type 2 diabetes.
- Drowsiness warning: While taking bromocriptine, you may have sudden drowsiness, or fall asleep without warning. Avoid driving or using machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
- Low blood pressure warning: When first starting bromocriptine, you may have episodes of low blood pressure that can cause dizziness or fainting. These episodes occur more often when you stand after sitting or lying down. This is called orthostatic hypotension. To help prevent this, move slowly when changing positions.
- Heart attack, stroke, or seizure warning: In some cases, bromocriptine can cause heart attack, stroke, or seizures. The risk may be higher in women who have just given birth and take this drug to reduce the amount of milk they produce. It may also be higher in people with high blood pressure that is not well managed.
- Compulsive behaviors warning: Bromocriptine may cause intense urges to gamble, spend money, or binge-eat. It may also cause increased sexual urges or other intense urges. You may not be able to control these urges. Tell your doctor right away if you have any of these urges.
- Postpartum (recently given birth to a child) warning: Bromocriptine can cause serious and life threatening problems including high blood pressure, heart attack, seizures, stroke, and psychosis. If you have recently given birth you should not take this medication.
Bromocriptine is a prescription drug. It comes in the form of a tablet and a capsule you take by mouth.
Bromocriptine oral tablet is available as the brand-name drugs Parlodel and Cycloset.
It’s also available as a generic drug. Generic drugs usually cost less than brand-name versions. In some cases, the brand-name drugs and the generic version may be available in different forms and strengths.
Bromocriptine oral tablet is often used as part of a combination therapy. This means you may need to take it with other medications. It can also be used in combination with surgery or radiation to treat certain conditions.
Why it’s used
Bromocriptine oral tablet is used to treat several conditions. The condition it treats depends on the form of the drug.
Parlodel and the generic bromocriptine oral tablet: These forms are used to help reduce symptoms of Parkinson’s disease, but they don’t cure it.
They also treat some conditions caused by high levels of certain hormones in the body, including prolactin and growth hormone. Bromocriptine reduces these hormone levels, which in turn treats the conditions.
Cycloset oral tablet: This form is used to help manage blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes.
How it works
Bromocriptine belongs to a class of drugs called ergot derivatives. A class of drugs is a group of medications that work in a similar way. These drugs are often used to treat similar conditions.
Bromocriptine works in different ways, depending on the condition it’s being used to treat.
Parlodel and its generic form:
- Bromocriptine stimulates dopamine receptors in the brain. This helps to lessen symptoms of Parkinson’s disease and other parkinsonism disorders.
- Bromocriptine reduces the amount of the hormone prolactin that the body produces. Lowering the levels of this hormone helps treat galactorrhea (excessive lactation or milk production) or infertility. It also helps treat hypogonadism (a condition where the body doesn’t produce enough testosterone).
- Bromocriptine lowers levels of growth hormone in the body. This helps treat acromegaly, a condition that causes excessive growth of the hands, feet, and face.