This medication is used to treat certain parasitic roundworm infections. Curing parasitic infections helps to improve your quality of life. In people with weakened defense (immune) systems, curing roundworm infections can reduce the risk of developing a severe or life-threatening infection. Ivermectin belongs to a class of drugs known as antihelmintics. It works by paralyzing and killing parasites.
How to use Ivermectin
Take this medication by mouth with a full glass of water (8 ounces or 240 milliliters) on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before a meal. Ivermectin is usually taken as a single dose or series of doses, or as directed by your doctor.
Dosage is based on your weight, medical condition, and response to treatment.
Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens.
Headache, dizziness, muscle pain, nausea, or diarrhea may occur. If you are being treated for “river blindness” (onchocerciasis), you may experience reactions to the dying parasites during the first 4 days of treatment, including joint pain, tender/swollen lymph nodes, eye swelling/redness/pain, weakness, vision changes, itching, rash, and fever. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
To reduce dizziness upon standing, get up slowly when rising from a sitting or lying position.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
Tell your doctor right away if any of these rare but very serious side effects occur: neck/back pain, swelling face/arms/hands/feet, chest pain, fast heartbeat, confusion, seizures, loss of consciousness.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.