- Rivaroxaban oral tablet is available as a brand-name drug. It’s not available as a generic drug. Brand name: Xarelto.
- Rivaroxaban comes only as a tablet you take by mouth.
- Rivaroxaban oral tablet is used to treat and prevent blood clots. It’s also used to reduce the risk of stroke in people with atrial fibrillation without an artificial heart valve. In addition, it’s used with aspirin to reduce the risk of major heart problems in people with chronic coronary artery disease (CAD) or peripheral artery disease (PAD).
Rivaroxaban is a prescription drug. It comes as an oral tablet.
Rivaroxaban oral tablet is available as the brand-name drug Xarelto. It’s not available as a generic drug.
Why it’s used
Rivaroxaban is a blood thinner. It’s used to:
- prevent stroke in people with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation
- prevent and treat blood clots in your blood vessels. These blood clots often form in certain veins in your legs and are called deep vein thromboses (DVT). These clots can travel to the lungs, causing pulmonary embolisms.
- prevent DVT after hip or knee replacement surgery
- reduce the risk of major heart problems such as heart attack or stroke in people with chronic coronary artery disease (CAD) or peripheral artery disease (PAD)
How it works
Rivaroxaban belongs to a class of drugs called anticoagulants, specifically factor Xa inhibitors (blockers). A class of drugs is a group of medications that work in a similar way. These drugs are often used to treat similar conditions.
Rivaroxaban helps prevent blood clots from forming by blocking a substance known as factor Xa. When factor Xa is blocked, it decreases the amount of an enzyme called thrombin in your body. Thrombin is a substance in your blood that’s needed to form clots. When thrombin is decreased, this prevents a clot from forming.
Heart attack, stroke, and other major heart problems can be caused by a blood clot. Because this drug reduces the risk of forming a blood clot, it also reduces the risk of these problems.
Rivaroxaban oral tablet can cause mild or serious side effects. The following list contains some of the key side effects that may occur while taking rivaroxaban. This list does not include all possible side effects.
For more information on the possible side effects of rivaroxaban, or tips on how to deal with a troubling side effect, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
More common side effects
The more common side effects that can occur with rivaroxaban include:
- bleeding, with symptoms such as:
- bruising more easily
- bleeding that takes longer to stop